Atomic Energy of Canada Limited (AECL)
Atomic Energy of Canada Limited founded COG’s predecessor, CANDev (CANDU Development) in 1979. With Ontario Hydro, Hydro Québec and New Brunswick Power, it was one of COG’s founding members in 1984. AECL transferred its COG membership to Canadian Nuclear Laboratories (CNL) in 2015 after CNL became accountable for management of AECL’s sites, facilities and assets.
As a federal Crown corporation, AECL receives government funding to enable nuclear science and technology and to protect the environment by fulfilling the government of Canada’s radioactive waste and decommissioning responsibilities.
AECL’s history and past achievements in nuclear science and technology have had impacts on human health, low-carbon energy production, safety, security and the protection of the environment. Starting in 1957, the National Research Universal (NRU) reactor was at the centre of many of these breakthroughs. The NRU was shut down on March 31, 2018.
A fully integrated nuclear technology company, AECL provides services to nuclear facilities worldwide. Its employees are dedicated to delivering leading edge nuclear services, research and development support, design and engineering, construction management, specialized technology, waste management and decommissioning in support of CANDU reactors and technology.